Traditional Italian menus feature salad alongside the main course, but we’ve got salads with Italian flair that work all on their own as well. Perfect for potlucks and picnics as well. Try this classic Italian salad recipe when you want something quick, tasty and light for lunch/dinner.
* 3 slices Italian bread, cubed
* Butter-flavored cooking spray
* 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 bunches romaine, torn
* 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 1 small red onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
* 6 pepperoncinis
* 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
* For croutons, spritz bread cubes with butter-flavored spray; place in a bowl. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and garlic powder; toss to coat evenly.
* Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once or twice. Cool.
* Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, olives, Parmesan cheese, onion and pepperoncinis. Drizzle with salad dressing; toss to coat. Top with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.